ILM Academy dedicates itself to providing its students with a quality academic education in an Islamic environment. We understand and take very seriously our role in shaping our students’ identity, expanding their knowledge base, and providing them with the skills, motivation and interest needed for lifelong learning.
The entire curriculum is presented to the student through an Islamic perspective in each discipline. The most distinguishing characteristic of ILM Academy is that it provides an environment that encourages the development and flourishing of an Islamic identity. Furthermore, the school is the foundation upon which we hope to build a living Islamic community that adheres to the Qur’an and Sunnah.
We believe strongly in the process of engaging students with the goal of making the learning process relevant to their lives. Our academic program looks at the whole child and directs his/her intellectual, social, emotional, spiritual, and physical development
ILM Academy Curricula K-4th grade:
- A fundamental goal of ILM Academy’s Language Arts program is to provide its students with strong communication and writing skills.
- The ILM Academy Kindergarten provides students with a rigorous phonics program that enables them to become confident readers at a young age.
- In the 1st and 2nd grades the teaching of listening, speaking, reading and writing skills are integrated through age-appropriate literature and basic skills instructions augmented with vocabulary, grammar, phonics, and spelling enrichment. From a young age, students are taught important writing traits and are encouraged to express themselves through writing.
At ILM Academy we introduced Singapore Math program from K- 2nd grade. We carefully selected the program based on the following considerations:
- Singapore Math emphasizes the development of strong number sense, excellent mental math skills, and a deep understanding of place value.
- The curriculum is based on a progression from concrete experience— using manipulatives—to a pictorial stage and finally to the abstract level or algorithm. This sequence gives students a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and relationships before they start working at the abstract level.
- Singapore Math includes a strong emphasis on model drawing, a visual approach to solving word problems that helps students organize information and solve problems in a step-by step manner.
- Concepts are taught to mastery, then later revisited but not re-taught. The Singapore approach focuses on developing students who are problem solvers.
ILM Academy’s goal is to foster an understanding and appreciation of the scientific method. In K and the Elementary grades, an inquiry-based scientific program that provides students with a hands-on, experimental approach is used with the aim of giving students a deep understanding of scientific principles as well as an appreciation of the use of science in a way that makes science a fun and engaging project.
ILM Academy’s social studies program is based on an approach that recognizes the critical importance of understanding identity and community in providing students with strong self esteem and confidence. Students are provided a strong grounding in map and research skills, are made aware of the importance of geography and history, and are geared toward an appreciation of diversity, tolerance and good citizenship.
In the K and elementary grades, students study human interactions in family and community and are provided opportunities to practice higher order thinking skills.
Physical education classes are used to increase the physical competence, health-related fitness and self-esteem of our students. Through such classes, students are provided with the opportunity to gain leadership and team building skills and gain a lifelong appreciation for the promotion of a healthy lifestyle. In addition to the obvious health benefits, research has shown that physically active lifestyles improve the academic achievements of students and our physical education classes are thus given importance in the overall school curriculum.